Saturday, January 9, 2010

Coat Colors, Backgrounds and an Oriental Shorthair

Oyate Charleston Harbor "Charlie," 7 month old Cinnamon Oriental Shorthair Male,
photographed on our New Green Felt background.
Breeder: Cindy Crenshaw/R Fulkerson; Owner: Paula Mortimore.
Oyate Charleston Harbor "Charlie," 7 mo old Cinnamon Oriental Shorthair Male,
photographed on our Magenta background.
Breeder: Cindy Crenshaw/R Fulkerson; Owner: Paula Mortimore.

We photographed Charlie at TICA's 2009 Southeast Regional Awards Banquet and Cat Show, held in Raleigh, North Carolina. I believe that Charlie is the first Solid Cinnamon shorthair I've ever photographed. There is such a richness to his coat color that I had to post his photo. His owner, Paula, gave me carte blanche with background colors so I first chose Magenta. I thought it would bring out the green of his eyes and be a dynamite swirl of colors with hot pink, dark orange of his coat and the eye color. I told Paula it would be a bit outre' but sweetheart that she is, she agreed.

Charlie, on the other hand, was spooked on Saturday and didn't want to sit up or stand for the sitting. Paula was disappointed, and I was, too. On Sunday, Paula came over before the show started and told me Charlie was so much better, playing in the hotel room and at ease in the showhall, could we shoot him again? We did, but using a new green background we were bringing out for the first time at this show. The green is a more traditional background for this coat color.

So here you can see, above, the difference in the look of the cat on two different backgrounds. At the top is our New Green Felt and below that is our Magenta. But whatever background a cat is shot against, the important thing is that the cat is comfortable, trusting and having a good time -- that's what makes a good photo shoot. These are two of the 22 images I submitted yesterday for consideration to Cat Fancy for the Oriental Shorthair. This breed profile will be published in May of 2010. Hopefully, I will get an image or two published.

Backgrounds for Charlie: at top - New Green Felt; below - Magenta

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Charlie's color! It would be neat to see a Cinnamon Oriental next to a Chocolate lab.

    ReplyDelete